Post Detail
Royalflusher
Lv.6

Why Playing Safe Is Sometimes the Biggest Leak in Poker

Most players are afraid of one thing:

Losing chips.

So they:

  • Avoid thin value bets

  • Don’t 3-bet light

  • Rarely bluff scary turns

  • Fold too much near the bubble

And they call it “discipline.”

But sometimes… it’s just fear.


1. Survival Mindset vs Winning Mindset

In tournaments especially, many players shift into survival mode.

They think:
“If I don’t bust, I’m playing well.”

But poker doesn’t reward survival.
It rewards correct risk-taking.

Example:
Blinds 1k/2k
You have 25bb on the button
Everyone folds to you

If you only open premium hands here,
you’re slowly bleeding equity.

Safe feels comfortable.
But comfort is expensive in poker.


2. The Hidden Cost of Folding Too Much

Every time you fold a +EV spot because:

  • “It’s close”

  • “Variance is high”

  • “I don’t want to flip”

You are giving away long-term profit.

Poker is not about avoiding flips.
It’s about taking good flips repeatedly.

If your edge exists, it shows over volume — not in one tournament.


3. ICM Fear vs ICM Understanding

Many players misunderstand ICM.

They think:
ICM = Don’t risk chips.

Reality:
ICM = Risk chips intelligently against the right stacks.

For example:

  • You should pressure medium stacks

  • You should avoid doubling short stacks unnecessarily

  • You should attack tight players protecting min-cash

ICM is a weapon — not a brake.


4. The Real Difference Between Average and Strong Players

Average player:
“I don’t want to bust.”

Strong player:
“I don’t mind busting if the decision is correct.”

That mindset shift changes everything.


Final Thought

Playing safe protects your stack.

Playing correct builds it.

In poker, fear disguises itself as discipline.

But growth begins when you accept this truth:

You’re not losing because you’re too aggressive.

You might be losing because you’re not aggressive enough in the right spots.

Latest Comments

No comments, come and grab the sofa~